Battle of the Books 2021-22
Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books
at Rosa Parks Elementary
Due to changing district priorities 2022 will be the last year of Battle of the Books. There will be a new reading program for our 4th and 5th graders for next year to keep our readers engaged. Please note the following changes:
Battle of the Books is an optional reading opportunity for 5th grade and 4/5 Quest students to: self-select a team, read chosen books and to compete against other teams in the school regarding information from the books. Books used in the Battle of the Books are chosen by the LWSD Elementary Librarians based on current award nominees, professional reviews, and student interest. Each June, the list is posted for the upcoming school year. Students are responsible for creating their teams, signing up with a team, and devising a strategy to read the books. In general, the more members of a team that have read a book, the more likely someone will remember the details of the question. Teams that have done well have read early, read often, and re-read books! Teams participate in a double elimination tournament. Due to pandemic restrictions battle teams must consist of students in the same class and early rounds will take place during library time. Our championship team then competes with other schools within our district, via a live web chat, in a single elimination tournament. District questions are different than the school battle questions and are more difficult.
School Battles will begin in early spring with the district battle happening at the end of May.
Battle of the Books List:
Tiny Hero of
Ferny Creek Library
Dragons in a Bag
The Pants Project
Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
Chester and Gus
Battle of the Books Rules
- Teams shall consist of no more than four members (5th grade and 4/5 Quest students only)
- Teams are responsible for signing up and reading the books themselves.
- Each battle consists of 10 questions.
- Teams are each given the same question. Teams have 30 seconds to discuss the answer.
- Answers are written on an erasable board, and turned around at the same time.
- One point is given for each correct answer.
- If a tie occurs, questions are given until one team answers incorrectly.
- Battles will not be rescheduled due to student illness or vacations.
- No spectators for in-person battles.
- Substitutes for missing team members are not allowed.